Pages

12/1/10

Crafting Christmas - monogram tree skirt

We put up and decorated the tree this weekend and I just wasn't feeling my tree skirt.  I got it on clearance at Target about 4 years ago.  Since my tree has only hand made and vintage ornaments, I wanted to carry that through with the tree skirt.

just a little too "cutesy"

I decided I wanted something simple.  I thought maybe I could do something with a dollar store tree skirt, but it was just too cheap looking.  I pondered for a bit, then pulled out fabric and scrap felt.  Then a little light bulb went off...make a monogram skirt!  I flipped the tree skirt over to reveal a plain off white backing.  Ran to the computer and printed out my letter (I downloaded an Alice in Wonderland font from dafont - it's FREE!!) big enough to cover the scrap felt.  I cut out the letter to use as a pattern, pinned it to my felt and cut away.

I love the curl at the top of the "P"

I grabbed some green embroidery thread and my number 24 chenille needle and got to work.  I used a simple running stitch to attach the "P" to the blank back of the skirt.  I no time, I had a perfect monogram tree skirt.  I'm calling it free cause I didn't have to go purchase anything, I had all my supplies on hand!

I wanted the letter a little bigger, but this is what fit on my scrap felt.