Pages

1/26/11

When I grow up...

I wanna bake cupcakes for a living!!!

I mentioned in this post that I should probably take some time to talk about the other part of my life (besides being a momma and crafting crazy). So here goes...

I've always loved to bake (much more than cook). I all about trying new recipes. I did it so often that we always had WAY too many sweets in the house. So, the hubs would take stuff in to work to pawn off on his co-workers. They never really did complain, though. Then, in Feb of last year, I joined the ranks of the employed. This was after being home (for the most part) for almost 9 years. I found it exhilarating to be around adults all day, especially when I realized that one of the ladies loved baking as much a me! I started bringing in goodies to share. A group of us spent out lunch break one day at a free tasting that one of the cupcakeries here in town was having. After that tasting and my subsequent sharing of my own cupcakes, I was told that I could blow this place out of the water. Something sparked in my head and I became obsessed with starting a business. I started coming up with names, recipe ideas and how I would decorate my store. Then, around the end of June we were told that our department was being sold and we would be out of jobs (unless we wanted to move to Houston). So, I went into cupcake overdrive, determined that I was going to make this happen. So, I began my research and planning and the beginnings of babee cakes was born.





logo made by my SUPER talented friend Marisa


Lots of recipe testing a tweaking, some food certifications and a website later I came to realize that this was NOT going to be an easy task. Especially since we didn't have a pile of money to put into this. I came across an interesting ad on Craig's List that lead me to a gentleman looking for someone who was "good with cupcakes". After emails back and forth, we finally met in person a few months ago. We decided that we wanted to work together but haven't ironed out the specifics of our "partnership". Since that meeting we've been searching for space to lease. This has proven to be quite difficult. The combination of location, budget and catching space before it gets leased has left us still searching. I think we're getting close though! So, I bake on with orders for friends and some of the hubs customers. I was told that I was born to do this...

I haven't managed to get photos of all my cupcakes, but here what I do have!!! Warning: Drooling and screen licking may occur!