Pages

12/9/10

Crafting Christmas - my mantel and new projects

I think I'm finally finished with my mantel... I think!  I think the wide shot makes it look a little manic (there's a lot going on), but I like it anyway!  It's a mix of handmade, vintage and store bought.  My stocking is the only handmade one (I think it was crocheted by my mom).  If you're curious as to the two extra small stockings, they are for our furry kids (we have two Chihuahua's).  The string of lights belonged to Hub's grandmother.  Year after year, I'm surprised they still work!  The best part about them, is they are stored in a vintage Buster Brown shoe box!  The focus is our shadow family picture, my found glass pane that I did a little treatment to (more on that later) and my little sheet music wreath.  I found the "P" at the thrift store and the vintage Kodak Brownie camera came from Etsy.

It's just another manic mantel!

This is a close up of the left side.  The snowy scene was hand painted by my Aunt on a small wood plank.  I made a yarn ball snowman and set him in a clear plastic cup filled with crinkled green paper.  Thanks to Spunky Junky, I made these cute tissue paper trees!


On the right I've got my foam trees!  I was looking for candy cane stripe candles, but wasn't having any luck.  I took matters into my own hands and simply wrapped my white candles with ribbon!  The little Santa and the Mrs. are Lennox salt and pepper shakers I got as a gift last year.  I blog hopped in search of free printables and settled on this one and now I can't find the link (I want to give proper credit, so drop me a line if you know).



I also decided I wanted to make a few more Christmas gifts.  I haven't embroidered in ages and I miss it, so I decided snowflakes would be in order!  I found the images at The Graphics Fairy (there's a link on the right side bar).  I used a disappearing pen to transfer to the 2 light colored fabrics and traced the third onto tissue paper and pinned it to my green fabric.  I'll stitch right on the tissue paper and then simply pull it off when I'm done!


I've seen a bunch of cupcake ornaments around and I figured I'd do some of my own!  So this pile of fabric and felt (and more I dug up after taking this photo) will become cupcakes!