Pages

7/14/11

A Hobbit's mentality

You're probably wondering where in the world I'm headed with a title like that!  Let me 'splain...

Upon discovering that I wasn't eating enough calories, I was trying to work out the most effective way to add more in.  I stumbled upon Alaythea and took notice of what she was eating.  I've always heard that you should eat smaller meals more frequently through the day to really boost your metabolism.  This is where I REALLY wish I had started this before going back to work full time.  I'm thinking it would be frowned upon if I stopped what I was doing every few hours to eat.  So, I started thinking... and Lord of The Rings came to mind (yes, I am a nerd thank you very much).  Specifically the scene where Pippen asks if Aragorn knows about second breakfast.





I knew then that I had my solution!  I get up at 5:30am (ugh, I know), get to work at 7am, get a 9:30am break (it's like a mandatory 15min pause), go to lunch at 12:30 and I'm out the door at 3:30.  Being that I'm generally in a fog in the morning, I thought I would borrow from Alaythea and have some sort of meal replacement shake-type-thing to start the day.  I've been drinking a Special K version and I found a Jillian Michaels version at the store the other day.  I prefer Jillian's, but I think I may give the slim fast a go too.  Then, I have second breakfast at 9:30.  I think I may need to change my lunch time to 12, to balance out the time between meals a little better.  Around 2:30 or 3:00 I have some kind of small snack (Greek yogurt or a light cheese stick).  Dinner is around 6ish and then I top off with another small snack at 8:30.  This seems to be keeping me from getting overly hungry.

Here's an idea of what my days look like (this day I decided to have my shake-type-thing at second breakfast, trying to keep from getting food bored)

Breakfast
Better Oats Blueberry Muffin oatmeal (160)
1/2 cup coconut milk (NOT the stuff in the can, it's next to the almond milk - 45)
1 clementine (35)

Second Breakfast
Shake-type-thing (190)

Lunch
Salmon salad with (homemade, yes the recipe is coming!) mango dressing (193)
1 cup bing cherries (95)

Snack
Light cheese stick (70)

Dinner
slice of whole wheat bread (70)

Snack
Oikos strawberry yogurt (90)

I thought I would also share some of my recipe resources.  Probably the one I use most is Spark Recipes.  They have a free iPhone app that has been sitting on my phone, unused, for who knows how long.  It gets plenty of use now!  It has a feature that allows you to enter ingredients from a recipe and calculates the nutritional information for you.  Gina's Skinny Recipes is another good one, I pinned a BUNCH of her recipes the other night!  Allrecipes.com has a healthy section with some good stuff too.